Lower Body Warm Up
Perform 10 reps for each 'dynamic stretch' and perform 3 reps in each direction for the Hip CARs.
Hip External Rotation
- Start in a 90/90 base position. Front thigh in front of your body with a 90 degree angle. Back thigh extends out to the side with a 90 degree angle. Shoulders square to the front shin. Hands down for support.
- Lean the shoulders forward and think about hovering your belly button over your front shin. As you do this, keeo the spine tall - don't round the back and drop the chest down.
- Move out the stretch and repeat for 10.
Hip Internal Rotation
- Start in a bear sit position - sitting down with hands behind your body, knees spread apart and feet turned out. Also make sure your heels line up with the backs of your knees and your low back is flat. Sit tall.
- Swivel on your heel and drive the knee and big toe toward the midline of your body. As you do this, keep the butt down. You should feel a deep 'unusual' stretch in the hip as this stretches the hip capsule. Exhale as you enter the stretch.
- Return the leg. Repeat on the other side.
- Start in a 1/2 kneeling position. Back knee directly under hips and shoulders. Front knee in line with the heel of the front foot.
- Place hands on the front knee and press down lightly to engage the anterior core.
- Tuck the hips / tailbone underneath you.
- Squeeze the back glute and brace abs to stabilize the spine.
- Now, lunge forward ever so slightly while maintaining tension.
- You should feel a stretch across the front of the back hip.
- Exhale as you enter the stretch. Move out and repeat for desired reps.
Frog (Adductor) Stretch
- Start on all 4's. Spread the knees as wide as you can (level with your hips) and go down onto your forearms.
- Find a neutral spine position by tilting your hips (a slight arch in the low back).
- Rock the hips back maintaining this position and you should feel a stretch in the groin. Exhale as you do this.
- Rock out and repeat for desired reps.
- Start in a 1/2 kneeling position, weight centred over the front leg and hands on the knees.
- Lunge forward so your knee extends over the middle of the front foot. As you do this, think about pulling the toes toward the shin.
- Press the ball of your foot down and lean back to exit the stretch.
- Stand with your arm outstretched holding a railing or a bar of some sort. The other arm should extend out also.
- Brace abs and tense the muscles of your upper body. Press the inside leg down hard (through the heel) to lock out the knee.
- Raise the knee of the outsdie leg as high up in front of the chest as you can without compensating.
- Open the knee up out to the side and turn the foot outward all while ensuring the hips still face forward.
- Turn the sole of the foot up to the wall behind you (Think - heel to sky). only go as far up as you can without the hips compensating, this should be pure hip internal rotation.
- Pull the knee directly underneath your hip.
- Reverse motion - knee out to the side then up high in front of the chest.